Plumbing & Gas Safety Codes Officer
Affiliation: CUPE Municipal
Position Type: Permanent Full Time
Number of Openings: 1
Bi-weekly Working Hours: 80 hours bi-weekly
Department/ Branch: Planning and Development, Safety Codes
Job Location: Fort McMurray
Pay Level: PL17
Start Rate*: $ 55.72
Permanent Rate*: $ 65.75 (Permanent rate effective after twelve (12) months of employment)
COLA: Bi-Weekly - $480
Closing Date: Open Untill Filled
Posting Type: Internal and External
- All CUPE job rates are currently under review and are subject to change.
Under general supervision, the Plumbing and Gas Safety Codes Officer will inspect the installation, operation and maintenance of plumbing, gas, and private sewage systems to ensure compliance with the relevant codes, standards, and regulations. The incumbent will provide guidance to owners, contractors, and trade professionals to ensure compliance with applicable codes and standards. The incumbent works to ensure the customer service standards of the Municipality are always met, whether interaction is on the phone, via email, or in person.
Inspect installations for compliance to the appropriate codes, policies, and bylaws.
- Examine applications and issue private sewage disposal system permits.
- Prepare permit conditions and notices to alert designers, contractors, and homeowners of deficiencies in the design or construction.
- Review permits for large scale projects to ensure completeness and that all the requirements are fulfilled.
- Follow up on conditions and notices to ensure deficiencies are corrected.
- Keep accurate records of inspector’s notices within the Accela program and utilize the program to complete reports.
- Answer general inquiries relating to plumbing and gas permit and code related matters.
- Investigate non-permit complaints, take the necessary actions, and prepare reports on the action taken.
- Gather evidence and prepare files for prosecution and attend court as required.
- Authority to stop municipal and contractual work in the event that inefficient, ineffective, possible damage or safety related situations occur.
- Maintain current knowledge of the Alberta Safety Codes Act, applicable municipal bylaws, and other trade related regulations.
- Understand, and ensure work adheres to the standards and criteria of, the municipal Quality Management Plan (QMP).
- Perform other related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Extensive knowledge of the Alberta Safety Codes Act, Gas Protection Act, Plumbing National Code, Gasfitter Trade Regulation, Plumber Trade Regulation, and all other applicable regulations.
- Considerable knowledge of the standard methods, practices, materials, tools, and equipment used in the plumbing and gasfitter trade.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and tactfully handle complex and difficult Code related items.
- Proven ability to read and interpret engineering plans, drawings, and specifications.
- Ability to clarify and convey information in a clear and concise manner.
- Responds to difficult situations in a professional manner.
- Proficient in various Microsoft Office applications, and the ability to learn and utilize the municipal permit system (Accela).
- Strong multitasking skills and the ability to manage a high volume of tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work independently and to effectively schedule work in order to meet service demands and minimize disruption to citizens.
- Exceptionally strong customer service and interpersonal skills with the ability to deal effectively with the public, sometimes in difficult or conflict situations.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
The following certifications through the Alberta Safety Codes Council are required:
- Plumbing Group A (installations) and Group B (PSDS).
- Gas Group A (installations).
- Two (2) years directly related experience (including trade experience) is required.
Ability to provide a Criminal Record Check for review and acceptance.
- A valid Class Five (5) Operator’s Licence is required as incumbent will be required to operate a personal or municipal vehicle for business use on a regular basis.
- Must be willing to work outside in all conditions.
- Must be medically and physically able to perform all duties of the position on an ongoing basis.
As an employee of the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo, the incumbent is responsible for understanding and actively participating in the RMWB’s health and safety management system, including all policies, practices, procedures, as well as properly utilizing all control measures including the required use of personal protective equipment. All employees must take reasonable care to protect the health and safety of themselves and others, as well as immediately report any concerns, near misses, incidents, and hazardous conditions to their supervisor.
To apply: Please visit our website at jobs.rmwb.ca
Current employees must apply through the internal careers site.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants; however, only those individuals
selected for interviews will be contacted. Late applications will not be accepted.
Dish Washer / Delivery DriverBoston Pizza International, Inc.Estimated at $37.9K–$48.1K a yearDish Washer / Delivery Driver One of the most important roles in the Restaurant, Dish Washers are responsible for managing the cleanliness and sanitation of the5 hour agoShareMission, BC
Supervisor, WarehouseCoca-Cola Canada Bottling LimitedEstimated at $49.9K–$63.1K a yearFacility Location- L'Assomption Work Location - Montreal Posting Locations - Montreal Department - L'Assomption Warehouse Night Job Function -5 hour agoShareMontréal, QC+5 locations
Dish Washer / Kitchen HelperBoston Pizza International, Inc.Estimated at $32.2K–$40.8K a yearDish Washer / Kitchen Helper One of the most important roles in the Restaurant, Dish Washers / Kitchen Helpers are responsible for managing the cleanliness and5 hour agoShareMission, BC
Kitchen HelperBoston Pizza International, Inc.Estimated at $34.8K–$44K a yearKitchen Helper Boston Pizza Kitchen Helpers are the engine of the entire restaurant! They are responsible for helping to create our delicious menu items perfectly5 hour agoShareMission, BC+2 locations
Sales AssociateRootsNATURE & SCOPE Reporting to the Store Manager, the Sales Associate plays a vital role in promoting our core values. The main objective of this position is to provide6 hour agoShareVancouver, BC+60 locations